iri, play It’s Getting Hot in Here.
The perfect vacation outfit might look effortless, but it’s tough to cram enough pieces for a whole week’s worth of Insta-worthy outfits into a carryon! Luckily, some of the hottest trends this year can easily be mixed and matched so that you can squeeze as much style out of as few pieces as possible.
These easy, breezy vacation outfit ideas are ultra versatile – which means you can dress them up for a nice dinner, dress them down for a scenic hike, or throw them on over your suit for a day at the beach.
⛅️ Fashion forecast: This summer is going to be big for easy, breezy linen ensembles, matching sets, and functional fashion like chunky sneakers and pretty athleticwear.
Keep an eye out – these trends will pop up throughout our list!
We hope you like the vacation outfits we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our writing team because we think they're awesome. Just so you know, as an affiliate partner we earn a commission from qualifying purchases if you decide to shop from some of the links on this page at no cost to you.
☀️ Matching Sets Make Style Simple
If you’re looking for easy vacation outfits, matching sets should be at the top of your list. Since they come as multi-piece sets, there’s no worrying about whether your top and bottoms clash. Whether you go with lightweight linen, a retro crochet set, or a flowy skirted ‘fit, you’ll look great and keep cool without wasting valuable vacation time trying to find the perfect outfit combo.
Bonus: Matching sets are great for vacation photos because the chic simplicity keeps the focus on the real star of the snap – you.
⛱ Shop the look with matching sets for every occasion:
- Super soft ribbed lounge set with knotted crop top (multiple colors)
- Pretty two piece tied crop top and skirt combo (multiple colors)
- Bold crochet two piece set (multiple colors/styles)
- Sleek and sultry sleeveless bodycon set (multiple colors)
- Breezy linen crop top and wide leg pants set (multiple colors)
- Pretty ruffle crop top and mini skirt set (multiple colors)
☀️ Keep Cool with Gauzy Dresses
Picnic season is the perfect time to live out your cottagecore/princesscore/fairycore dreams. These floaty, feminine tulle dresses are instant showstoppers, making them the perfect statement piece for dinner on vacay or even just hitting up the local shopping scene in style.
The best part? You don’t have to drop hundreds on a Selkie dress to get the look – there are plenty of budget-friendly dupes out there too.
Pro tip: Tulle is bulky, so if you’ve got limited space, pack one statement dress and a few less-bulky options to style it differently on different days.
⛱ Shop the look:
- Sugary Selkie dupe puff sleeve bubble dress (multiple colors)
- Flowy tulle cottagecore flower dress (multiple styles/colors)
- Night sky-inspired starry tulle dress (multiple styles/colors)
- Breezy boho halter dress (multiple colors)
- Flirty off-the-shoulder tulle mini dress (multiple colors)
☀️ Go Bold with Bright Colors + Graphic Prints
Colorful sundresses are always in style, but this year we’re seeing those bold, bright colors popping up across the whole outfit. Whether you throw a graffiti-print button down over your single-color swimsuit, find a pretty watercolor print to fit the modern rococo revival, or stick with traditional fruity prints, you’ll definitely look hot and keep cool all vacation long.
⛱ Shop the look with these sunny styles:
- Fresh Sicilian lemon print sundress
- Flowy boho stripe set (multiple colors)
- Basquiat-inspired cropped button down (multiple colors)
- Bold groovy retro mini dress
- Sweet strawberry print ruffle dress
☀️ Chunky Sneakers + Sandals
We’ve seen a lot of trends from past decades come back stronger than ever over the last couple of years – but chunky footwear might be here to stay. It’s comfy, it’s fashionable, and it’s versatile. Basically, everything you could ever want your shoes to be.
With multiple takes on this trend – from chunky sneakers like the iconic Fila Disrupters to wide-strapped espadrilles – you can wear one pair of shoes for virtually everything on your vacation itinerary.
⛱ Shop the look with these funky and functional footwear options:
- Strappy platform memory foam sandal (multiple colors)
- The ultimate chunky sneaker, the Fila Disrupter II (multiple colors)
- Elegant open-toe block heels (multiple colors)
☀️ Sparkle in Silver and Foil
This one comes straight from the runway, with plenty of major labels like Gucci and Prada showing off some silver style in their spring and summer runway shows this year.
The bad news? Silver can be tricky to pull off in a casual outfit. The good news? If you need a showstopper or statement piece, the options below should give you a little (or a lot) of sparkle.
⛱ Shop the look with these sparkling silver options:
- Sparkly silver wrap shirt for going out or staying in
- Sleek silver button down for luxurious layers
- Sexy silver dinner dress perfect for that nice restaurant
- Silver statement sandals to spice up your vacation outfits
☀️ ALL the Athleticwear!
Sitting on the beach not quite your style? We feel you. If your vacation is jam-packed with local boutiques, museum adventures, and urban exploration, athleticwear is your BFF. Viral athletic dresses (looking at you, Halara) have proved that the stretchy, moisture-wicking fabric we love in our leggings can actually work in surprisingly chic dresses as well.
⛱ Shop the look with these comfy athletic pieces perfect for working out or going out:
- Backless twist-back ballet dress by Halara
- Two-piece matching bike shorts and crop set (multiple colors)
- Flowy wide leg pants with a stylish front split by Halara
- Viral everyday bodycon dress by Halara
☀️ Clothes = Cover Ups This Year
Forget wasting valuable suitcase space on cover ups. Sarongs are always sexy, and who doesn’t still love a lightweight crochet sweater you can throw on before leaving the beach? But this year, we’re showing off our cute swimsuits.
Subtly incorporating lingerie into daywear has been a look for a while, and we’re taking that same energy to the beach. But instead of letting a little bit of lace poke out from under your button down, let your swimsuit say hi!
⛱ Shop the look with a few of the swimsuits our staff writers are rocking this summer:
- Embrace your inner mermaid with a shell-inspired bikini (multiple colors)
- Go retro glam with this textured bikini with gold hardware (multiple colors)
- Rock the LBD of swimsuits with a sleek one piece (multiple colors)
- Make waves with this floral swimsuit + its Starry Night vibes (multiple colors)
- Say hello to boho with this smocked bikini set (multiple colors)
🕶 Must-Pack Vacation Accessories
Traveling light? Make sure you pack a couple of accessories for maximum fun in the sun. Polarized sunglasses aren’t just a fashion statement – they reduce glare and prevent eye strain, too. A summery take on the trendy claw clip will keep your hair from getting stuck to your neck (and falling in your face) in the heat, and a bucket hat is still our top pick for keeping the rays off your face.
Pro Tip: Knockaround sunglasses are designer quality without the designer price tag, but this summer they’re also giving back. When you bundle a towel + sunglasses (including some of their hottest styles like their new Care Bears collab) and use code ACSKNOCKS, up to $20 of your purchase is donated to the American Cancer Society.
⛱ Shop the look:
- Polarized Knockaround sunglasses in chill blue Rising Tide
- Cute fruity claw clips by LittleTwinkleCo on Etsy
- Summer cloud bucket hat to keep you cool
That’s a wrap on our vacation outfit inspiration!
Whether you’ve got the next three months off from class for the ultimate summer getaway or you’re doing the most to make those precious few weeks of vacation time count with an affordable beach vacation, we’ve got you covered with vacation outfits that will have you looking your best without eating into valuable relaxation time.
Will any of our picks be getting packed in your luggage this summer? 👀