ife can be stressful, and it may seem that there is never enough time in the day. Work gets in the way of social life, and a busy social life can inflict negative effects on work life. Time can be better spent if you know what you are doing with your time. With these simple yet effective strategies, the amount of time you have will remain the same, but it will be spent in ways that will make it seem like you have all the time in the world. While it may seem tricky to implement changes at first, these steps will help your life in more ways than one. In the article, you will find:
- How to better ration your time
- Ways to better spend your days
- Tips and tricks for an overall better time managed life
How to better ration your time
There are a number of steps to take that can help lead you to more successful time management
Here are 10 ways to make sure you are spending your time wisely.
- Prioritizing tasks is one way to definitely better spend your time. If you think that all of your tasks are the most important, none of them will be. Therefore, take the time to follow the steps to prioritize your tasks to better achieve what you are doing. Write down all your tasks and then categorize them as urgent or important. Assess the value of the tasks, and estimate how long each task will take. Then you can insert the tasks into the Eisenhower Matrix and you will be able to know which tasks to tackle first and when.
- Set time constraints to make sure you are working on specific tasks for the proper amount of time. If you normally spend 20 minutes checking an email and responding to it, limit yourself to ten minutes and try to work as hard as you can to meet that time. Then, you will either meet the new time limit and be able to make the most of your time, or come close to the new time and have to extend the time a little bit, still saving yourself a good bit of time. A win-win no matter what!
- There are a variety of ways to limit distractions to better the ways you are spending your time. A few include turning off notifications on your phone, or setting it aside completely when you are completing an important task. Turn off your WiFi when you are completing tasks that are not related to the internet. The internet can be a very distracting place when it is not helping what you are trying to achieve. Try not to browse social media when you are working on completing tasks. If you can’t completely avoid it, designate specific times for when you are going to go on social media for a designated amount of time, and then go back to what you are working on.
- Single task rather than multitask. This helps your brain focus on one task at a time, further increasing your ability to get the task done in a quicker amount of time. Using timers is a great way to focus your brain on a task and complete it in the set amount of time, and then move onto the next task when you are done with the first one.
- Breaking down big tasks is also helpful. It is similar to single tasking in the sense that you are able to focus more specifically on what you are doing rather than doing many things at once. If a task is too large to complete, we often avoid it or procrastinate it with other smaller or mindless tasks. Then the task at hand is pushed aside and it is harder to complete it in the future. Therefore, breaking the task down into manageable parts allows for increased productivity and the possibility to achieve more in a shorter amount of time.
- Letting go of perfectionism is another way to better spend your time on important tasks rather than that which is not as important. Even if you think that your perfectionism is leading to better work and overall increased output, that may not and probably is not the case. Rather, focus on which tasks are the most important to complete and do them as best you can. Don’t try to be perfect. This will only lead to less productivity and possibly overly perfected tasks that aren’t completed properly.
- Taking time off to both be with yourself and loved ones as well as to recharge can only benefit your busy schedule. Even if it seems like it can be a time suck, it will benefit you in the future. In this way, you can both recharge yourself and learn about those around you to better yourself. This can include both short breaks throughout your work day as well as longer times to recharge and refresh yourself.
- Make sure you are enjoying what you are doing! It is easy to push your enjoyment to a back burner while trying to be productive, but this can easily lead to tough times that are full of unproductivity. Instead, focus while you are working, and enjoy yourself as you do it. You will be able to be more productive on what you are working on if you are able to focus on it fully and enjoy it at the same time.
- Working from a calendar is yet another way to spend your time more wisely. If you schedule out what you need to do and then follow that schedule, you can achieve more than you ever thought possible. You can color code your calendar to make sure you are doing each activity at the proper time and it will help you know what color is associated with each task. Planning what you have to do will help you complete tasks with meaning and purpose. Then, you will additionally be able to take time for events that you haven’t scheduled because your productivity will increase and you will be able to have more spare time!
- Finally, make sure you aren’t spending your time on petty tasks and decisions. Focus your energy on important tasks, and push other tasks aside. If you practice making quick decisions on that which is not as important, you will soon be able to only focus on those decisions that are very important. This is the technique that will help guide you through those times of difficult decisions.
There are many more techniques you can implement to help better spend your time. These are ten that are simple yet effective. In the long term, you can implement some of these techniques and you will reap the benefits throughout your life.
Ways to better spend your days
More techniques for you spend your days in a wiser manner!
Much like sectioning out your days and making sure you follow the above steps to make sure you are spending your time wisely, there are ways to best spend the days in which you are so busy that you can’t even think clearly. In these times, make sure you are preparing yourself properly with the adequate nutrients both for your brain as well as figuratively for your time management protocol. This may mean going over what you plan on accomplishing for the day. Parcel out your meals in advance, sometimes doing so for the entire week on the weekend. Then you will be able to quickly either grab a lunch to take with you, or whip up a gourmet three course meal at dinner time, not wasting any time having to think about what you are going to cook and going shopping.
Tips and tricks for an overall better time managed life
There are endless ways we can manage our time better, so finding what suits your needs is the best way to go
As shown in the above list of ten tips to better time manage your life, the possibilities are truly endless for how you can spend your time. In this sense, it is best to latch onto what you think will help you the most, and implement these changes in your life gradually. Don’t get overwhelmed with an overabundance of changes. Instead, focus on the few steps you can change, and go from there.
Tips for time management can seem overwhelming at first, but at the same time, they are the little things that can translate into big differences in your life. Take the time to focus on what you need to change and look for guidelines that are specific to those needs.